Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mini 10K Race in Central Park

Another day, another race! I truly am so thankful that through all the injuries I have dealt with over the years, I can still get out there and do what I love :: RUN.

This morning was just as CRAZED as any other morning. I'm always very good about setting my race things out the night before. My clothes are ready, bib, sneakers and iPod are always set to go. Today, even though those things were ready, everything that followed delayed me. I had to get breakfast, there was a back up there. Traffic on the Cross Bronx expressway was insane ... And at 7:30 in the morning, I don't understand how, but it's the Cross Bronx. I should have expected it. Parking was IMPOSSIBLE, but again, I knew that would have been the case. End all of this with my unknowingly turn onto a ONE WAY street, and you've got one frazzled girl. That's when I thanked God I didn't cause an accident, and put the car into a lot.

Because of all these delays, I started the race 25 minutes late. The plus to that was no overcrowded start, running on Central Park West alone, receiving lots of personalized cheers, lol, and some funny lines along the way. A big part of me was ready to turn around and GO HOME, but I chose not to. I had to meet my friend, Lyda, at the finish so we could run another 5 miles. We have a half marathon in 2 weeks and training is ongoing.

I eventually caught up with the rest of the runners and got to be part of the actual race. I needed that comradery to help me along the way. Sometimes races aren't as easy as they seem. Different factors can make it feel a little harder than usual. Often we didn't sleep enough or well; other times we feel great and can plug right through. Today I was in the middle. All in all, I finished the race in perfect timing (for me). I wasn't too fast or too slow. I think my time was under an hour, but the race clocks say differently because of my late start. I didn't even get to hit the starting mat. Low and behold, I finished, got my medal, guzzled Gatorate and found my friends. We happily exchanged hugs and chatted about the race. I was truly so glad to find them.

After we all finished chatting, Lyda and I went on our way for 5 more miles. They weren't easy, but we surely did it. It was fun to run with her. We caught up on each other's lives, and were able to encourage, motivate & encourage each other along the way. It was a good run in many ways.

My goal :: to stop getting to my races at the last minute. I must leave ONE HOUR before they start. I will try to do that beginning next Sunday for my next race.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a crazy morning :(. Glad you did well though!!

Jess said...

It so was. And I surely felt :(
But, I was all :) by the end. That's what counts.
Thanks for the post xo