Sunday, June 10, 2012

Just Another Sunday in June

Summer days = weekend BBQs. It's just one of the many things I love about this season. Today I went to Shannon's for the 'Puerto Rican Day' BBQ. I actually gave it that 'name' in my mind. Today, in NYC, there is a HUGE parade in honor of Puerto Rico, and almost EVERY Puerto Rican in the city goes to participate in the festivities. I'm not a big fan of it, as it is known to get a little rowdy. However, the idea of it is very nice. The country, culture, and heritage of Puerto Rico is actually very lovely. Personally, I prefer to visit the country itself as opposed to watching the parade.

So, after church, I went home to change and got myself to Shannon's. Spending time with her, her family & friends was a much more entertaining way to spend the day than I had actually planned. Between good food and conversation, I couldn't have asked for a better day. BBQs with the Celentano family is always a lot of fun!

I'm actually glad I chose to attend the early service today because I was able to make it to her house earlier than I would have had I gone to the 3:00 p.m. service. Today's sermon was so touching and applicable to my life. Just what I needed today, as it almost always is. There's always SOMETHING going on in my life, and at times, I feel as though I can't see clearly or understand the whys and hows of what I'm dealing with. After today's sermon, I still don't understand those things. I do, though, have a better understanding of how to tackle certain situations as God expects me to. It's the calm and peace I need at this moment.

As I wind down this evening, finish up chores around the apartment, I will go over the notes I took from today's service and think about things a little differently.

Photo:: Me at Shannon's. Her facebook caption :: 'Jess, where are your Puerto Rican colors?'.

No comments: