Thursday, July 18, 2013

Last Day in Italia

Today started off with a run. That's the bit of normalicy I've tried to keep while I've been here. I ran a little under 4 miles, and would have gone out longer but we had reservations for the Accademia Museum.


 We were determined to see The David, along with Michelangelo's other fine, fine work. His sculptures were extremely interesting, including the unfinished works. The David, however, was exquisite. The details were so intricate, the shadowing from the carving was precise and exact ... It was perfection. No description I give can do the piece the justice it deserves. 


Afterward, we enjoyed a huge lunch at Gusto Leo Pizzeria. I don't know why, but I have been extremely hungry since we've been here. Maybe a little more so due to the recent hikes and running. I was thrilled to enjoy my pizza w mozzarella, tomatoes and basil! Yum! The only thing I wasn't prepared for was the size of it. There was enough to share with someone, but Nat loved the spaghetti w clams from this restaurant so she enjoyed that tasty dish. 


Our next stop was to visit the beautiful Duomo. The outside is gorgeous; a sight you can see every day & not grow tired of. The inside, while lovely and sacred, did not live up to our expectations. Still, we were glad we looked inside. The line to get in was the width of the building and half way around the corner when we first walked by. After we did some shopping and checked again, it was considerably shorter and that was our motivation to go inside & have a look. 


Onward! The next venue we stopped at  was H&M! Yes, H&M :: in Italy! Nat needed to exchange some rings she had bought two days ago, but found them to be too large, and I just wanted to see what Italy's H&M had. I bought 3 items, one of which was on sale, another that was a major necessity and the last just because. Yay!  We continued with our shopping for a short while, making sure we purchased the souvenirs we wanted for our family & friends, then went back to the hotel to pack & get organized for tomorrow's departure. After I finished, I went to the hotel's gym and did a quick total body workout :: I just felt the need to since it rained and I wasn't able to go for a second run. 

Lastly, we went to dinner. We dined at a restaurant we found while venturing off the beaten path and down a (safe) side road the other night. The menu seemed appealing & so we decided there was where we would enjoy out last meal in Florence. 



The bottle of water was pretty fancy, if you ask us. Lol.

The night ended with a walk back through the shopping areas, most of which were closed as it was after 10, with the exception of the gelaterrias, and through the piazza where we overheard an orchestra playing. Seeing as Nat is a violinist, I thought she'd enjoy listening for a short while, and we both found it enjoyable. There were many people standing & sitting as they listened to the music. That was a pleasant way to end our evening & time here. 


We talked a lot over dinner this evening  :: various topics :: and made amends regarding some silly disagreements we'd had over the duration of our time here. Nothing is ever perfect, nor would I want it to be. In the end, we are sisters and sister-friends who care for, respect and love each other. Through the bumps there were laughs and chats, photos and afternoon coffee breaks in the never ending search for free wifi. I am glad we had this time away and together. Nat is off to Syracuse mid-August, and that'll be here before we know it. We were extremely fortunate to be here in Italy. I surely didn't deserve if.  Natalie definitely did, though. It wasn't as long as originally planned, but it was amazing and enjoyable ... And exhausting. Now, I am praying for a safe return for the both of us. 




No comments: