Sunday, July 14, 2013

Italy, Day 3

Walking, training, walking some more. Yesterday we felt pretty confident getting around Rome. It turns out that the Metro is fairly easy to follow. 

We made our way to The Coliseum & The Roman Forum. Both were incredible and indescribable. The architecture is all I seem to write about, but you could feel a sense of history and culture as you walked & looked around.  It was a lot to take in & I wished we could've walked through the parts that were closed off, but then they wouldn't be as lovely as they are, I suppose. I definitely had my 'wow' moments as I took it all in. Almost every street was made of cobblestone, and there were some giant ones that I nearly broke a toe on as I was walking over them. I enjoyed The Forum most of all. I wonder what it would have looked like in person all those years ago. 

After being amongst all that Roman history, we sought out a cafĂ© for some free wifi, but it wound up costing us $8.00 -- had to buy something -- so we indulged in a latte and cappuccino. From there we were on a journey for a little recommended restaurant that Nat had found on Trip Advisor, and the journey was through a main road, but then some not so 'main.' Those were scary & it was late. Sadly, we needed a reservation and didn't know, so we went across the street instead to another little restaurant & had delicious dinners :: mine - Ravioli stuffed with grouper and pistachios & Nat's - Linguini with shrimp! I wanted dessert, but today I'm glad I didn't indulge in any. I've had (small) gelato for the past two nights. 











No comments: