Thursday, July 11, 2013

Italy, Day 1, Part 2

And so, after becoming 'hangry', we both ate, calmed down and continued on our sightseeing journey. We wanted to see one thing, but ended up seeing, and walking up, this very steep set of stairs and into a gorgeous church. We almost stumbled upon it, as I took the 'Alice in Wonderland' approach & decided I would just walk on in to see what was there. When I saw the candles to be lit, I was reminded of my friend, Cathy, who always lights one when she goes into a new church. It really was gorgeous. The floor was old marble, the paintings were ancient, colorful and quite detailed, as was every piece of stone in there. I felt as though I was looking around a Roman Catholic church for the first time. I don't think I've ever seen one so exquisite. I didn't take photos because it was too dark, but they wouldn't have fully captured the details as I saw them.

From there we continue down random little streets that caught our eyes with something or another. We wound up coming across what looked like great restaurants and wished we had saved our appetites for one of them, but perhaps we'll give them a try before we leave Rome. 

After so much walking around, exhaustion crept up on us and we were ready to head back to the hotel. We found a bus stop and waited, then our bus flew right past us as we were standing there. We had to wait another 20 minutes or so and finally another one arrived. When you're exhausted 20 minutes can seem like 20 hours. 

Now, we are making the plans for tomorrow. God willing, all will go smoothly! 











1 comment:

Mama Sandy said...

Have fun - you are in a beautiful city. Wait until you see St. Peter's and the Vatican. Be careful and I look forward to more pictures. Luv U