Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cinque Terre Trek

Here's one happy 17 year old. ;)




Today we went on a hiking tour through the Cinque Terre, the five little towns that are along the Italian Riviera. 



Once again we booked with the Walkabout Tours Company and were very pleased. Our guides were good natured & knowledgeable.  They led us through scenic trails all through each quaint area.  

The hike took us through the Cinque Terre National Park. The ground was rough at times; steep, as well.  There were no real handrails, nor safety rails ... I actually realized that when I tripped and got my bearings too close to the edge of the walk way. 



We hiked our way from one of the five towns to another. It was a hot, beautiful, sunny day, and we were thrilled when we ended up at a beach! First we got gelato (again!), then made our way to the rocky, pebbly beach. The water was freezing, yet very refreshing after a few moments. The heat was so intense, though, that if you weren't in the water, you really could sit in the sun. Plus, we had to lay on the rocks, which it seemed like everyone did, however, that didnt appeal to me. The rocks were extremely hot & just uncomfortable ... To the tourist, that is. ;)

From one beach we took a train to another area :: Montereosso - the only town's name I can recall. There was a larger beach area, but again it was far too pebbly. Come to think of it, I could have practiced my swimming in these open waters. I just had no real desire to be in the water. They were lovely beaches, though. I looked for a coffee shop, but a coffee shop all on its own is hard to come by, I've found. I came across a bakery that had fried cheese on bread, but that wasn't what my stomach was yearning for, so I skipped out on that. 



From Monterosso, we boarded a boat that took us back to the first area which we had skipped on the way in. We went on one last mini excursion, but it was a scenic one. This last one sucked the life out of us. 





I definitely had a good nap while riding home. We enjoyed our day immensely. I was so tired, though. I didn't even want to walk & find dinner. I was pretty hungry :: VERY hungry :: but I was more exhausted. It was a great day. Success!! Tomorrow :: more museums.  




No comments: