Sunday, July 27, 2008

NYC Nike Half Marathon


Yep, I was at it AGAIN. Most of you know of my passion for running...besides loving the feeling I get after a good run~ no matter the distance~ it's my therapy. Today was the NYC Half-Marathon. I usually run w/ Binu, but he had a Volleyball Tournament in Baltimore yesterday. I definitely missed his drive...we're good at motivating each other just by running together. Today I ran w/ my friends, IPOD, Beyonce, Jay-Z, and some various other artists : ) This race is now 2 years-old and VERY popular. One has to get chosen from a lottery to run in it. It was one of my most difficult half marathons, physically. Mentally, I was on point! For some reason, my stomach acted up, which has NEVER before happened to me during a race...combine that with a blister the size of a half dollar on the back of my right food, and it turned out to be not my best race. However, given those uncomfortable circumstances, I ran well. The course was tough~one 6 mile loop through Central Park, down 7th Ave. to 42nd Street, then down the West Side Highway to Battery Park. I did my best along the 7th Ave. to 42nd Street stretch. My miles were consistently 10 minute miles, which yes, are much slower than usual for me. It's okay~it was a LONG race. As I went down 42nd street, a fellow runner told me I passed him numerous times along the way...another gentleman told me I passed him 11 times (I had to stop every now and again for water~I didn't know it was 11 times, though!) and right at the finish line, a man thanked me for the good pace. That left me w/ a good feeling about my run after the crazy things I had gone through. I have to be thankful, though, that I didn't hurt any body parts, pull anything or pass out! ha! By mile 11 certain things did become a bit uncomfortable, such as my knees and lower back, but that just meant I had to adjust my pace, which wasn't a problem. I am glad to have run this particular race again.. the first year I ran it was the year Anthony passed...that still tugs at my heart a whole lot... For the rest of the night, I'm going to sit w/ my legs up...and think about which part of the race I enjoyed the most...besides crossing the finish line. : )

2 comments:

Richard said...

Good for you, Jess! Running is not for me, but I'm glad you enjoy it and are good at it. I'll stick to my Jazzercise! :)

Anonymous said...

Wish I could run too. The picture didn't come up