Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First Day of School

Today marks the start of my 10th year of teaching. Why does every year feel like my first? Last week we had time before the first day of meetings to set up our rooms. I must've walked into everyone else's room to see what they were doing and how they were setting their rooms up. I told them that the beginning of the year always feels like it's my first! By the end of the week, I felt good about how I'd arranged everything and brought home lessons and odds & ends to prepare.
I'm big on baking for my students! For the first day of school, birthdays, holidays, etc, I usually bring in cupcakes, cookies, whatever I'm into that week. Well, last night was no different. I baked vanilla cupcakes w/ red sprinkles for today. They were cute & looked yummy! I spent the evening preparing as much as I could for today~lunch, parent letters, my own plans~I felt okay! By 10:30 p.m. I HAD to go to bed. Exhaustion had really hit me hard, and that was fine. It would've been better, though, had I slept through the night...1:30, 4:30, 5:00...up, up, up...by 5:50 I gave in & got out of bed. I finished whatever was left to do & walked out of the door @ 7:00! A RECORD for me! haha! Apparently anxiety had gotten the best of me...along w/ my clumsiness... As I walked down the hallway w/ my bags & cupcakes, I slipped on our extra polished floor and fell right on my bottom! UGH! Cupcakes flew in the air & then onto my dress, on my hands, in my hair & all I could think of was my upcoming marathon... I just hoped that I hadn't hurt myself. Well, needless to say, I just sat there...kinda shocked, kinda embarrassed, kinda knowing that this was SO ME. Oh well. Thank God, I am okay (I think). My shin hurts a bit, but that may be from being up on my feet all day...The cupcakes DID NOT make it, unfortunately. Not only did I have to throw them all out, but I had to clean the floor & my dress all before even getting to my room.
Onto the kids...they are adorable. I truly enjoyed meeting and working w/ them today. Two boys tested me ALL DAY. I thought I had one under control, but clearly, controlling him means he can't sit at a table with other students...so, we'll work on that.
I think I am ready to be back in this routine. Camp was camp....the usual summer action & stress. Mexico relaxed me after that. Time for me after all that was great & very necessary...but now I'm focused, once again, on what is my life...for right now.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Why is it that I can totally picture this cupcake fiasco happening to you? I would have freaked out and my luck BPS would have come around the corner at this very moment. Sounds like you had a good day...and a good class...but get those two in check! I'll see you soon!

Unknown said...

Attack of the cupcakes!!! Candice is the clumsy one in your house not you! Whats up with that??? Oh well over and done with onto the new year and new things to look forward to...like Christmas Vacation---hehehe

Richard said...

Oh, Jess! I"m sorry to hear about the rough start to your first day. Every year does feel like your first. That is such a true statement. I am always so anxious the first day. I hope you have a great year with a great class!