Sunday, August 10, 2008

The End of an Era...















That's what we said for entire the last week of camp...the end of an era. 12 years @ Camp Sagamore...gosh. It was lots of fun, but also took A LOT out of me. Sometimes I felt like I worked harder @ camp than work, although we all know that's not true. It was a different kind of work. Different responsibilities. Managing 150+ 4 & 5 year-olds, 32 teenagers, and everyone's parents was at times difficult! There's always a fire to be put out. This year, though, I did it differently... I was less stressed and felt more accomplished. Maybe the thought of not doing it after this year had something to do w/ those feelings.
We worked hard til the very last minutes of the day. There was just so much to be done between paperwork, reports, hugs, cleaning up...We were there long after we should've been. There was the usual joking at the same time... the name calling, the throwing of pens, papers, yelling. FUN!!! My friends called me from our administrative luncheon pleading w/ me to get out of the school. ha!
Saying good-bye to the little ones was bittersweet. Their big hugs, the parent's heartfelt thanks, seeing kids who had really difficult starts leave us with big, bright smiles...Those smiles made it all worth it.
I've grown in so many ways @ camp...I didn't even want to work there! ha! My mom insisted that I have a 'paying' summer job (the year I began). It turned out to be a place where I met many fabulous friends that I've kept over the years...Sue, Gid, Kimberly, Jen, to just name a few... I definitely grew as an Assistant Director...each year working harder on what didn't work the year before, helping the staff where I could, teaching the kids about getting along and such as much as I could.
I guess I could write forever, but I should probably stop here... Camp Sagamore. I was given the opportunity to return... I have to let them know by October... I hear you all though... I can tell EXACTLY who is saying NO! hahaha...Much love, everyone!

No comments: