Friday, February 28, 2014

One Week Later

Every day is better than the last, Thank God. 


One week ago I was coming out of anesthesia, today I am (slowly) walking up and down the hall of my apartment building. It is good to keep the blood flowing, and I know sitting for long periods of time isn't the best thing for anyone. For me, sitting for 10 minutes is too long. These days I sit for 45 minutes at a time and then walk for 5. 

I feel pretty good, although I tire easily. I miss being outside and among people, but that's okay. I have always enjoyed my quiet time. Maybe I simply got used to it over the years. I just wish I could be putting it to better use. Resting is the best 'use' of my time right now, though. I have to understand that. 

Last night I slept pretty well. I haven't  slept the whole night through yet. Moving from side to side wakes me up, and I suppose I am conscious of it even in my sleep. Plus the sensation / pain / discomfort of 'pulling' at the stiches, incision or my insides, wakes me up as well. In time, this will all be a memory. 

My parents came by to visit yesterday. I felt badly because there was no real 'action' going on, but I'm certain they were glad to see me in 'real life.' My mom and I measured my scar (it's 5 1/2 inches long) and looked at my puffiness. I hate them both, but they are par for the course. So is the numbness of the area surrounding the incision. These are things that, hopefully, will go away in time, but no time soon. 

After they left, I did my usual walk a few times and called it a night by 11. I'm scheduled to attend a dinner this evening, but am not sure I will be up for it. Truth be told, sitting somewhere doesn't require much energy, but just the having to be 'on' will exhaust me. But being out of the house, for even a few hours would be nice. I haven't decided yet. 

I've been walking up and down the hallway since I began this post, so now I will go back inside ... And sit. I have papers to grade, and some other work to tend to, so perhaps I will do that ... Then walk again. Maybe. 



No comments: