Saturday, May 30, 2009

NYRR Brooklyn Half Marathon

It definitely felt like a summer day once again. Two lovely weekends in a row~~no one would've guessed it after the awful gloom we had this week. The beautifully blue sky, warm day and cooling breeze were perfect for today's Half-Marathon through Brooklyn. The course took us through two loops of Prospect Park, which I'd never been in before. It's definitely smaller than Central Park, and the hills did challenge me. I got bored w/ the park though, after the first loop around. One more loop, though, then we got to move on to better things! We finally exited the park and went onto the road. We ran maybe 6 miles down what seemed like a never ending long, flat stretch. A flat road can never be complained about, and while the buildings and tree lined streets were appealing to look at, the stretch of road was a bit boring. I truly thought it was never going to end. But, like all things, it did, and we ended the race by running, maybe half a mile, into Coney Island. The crowd that lined the boardwalk was amazing. Cheers at the end of a race, heading towards the finish, is always motivational! I did well, and I'm proud of myself. I still have to work on not shutting down at the last mile.
I was lucky to meet two ladies, Lyda and Katie, who are also teachers, at the race. We took the train together from Coney Island to Prospect park, and got to know each other a bit. I ran w/ Katie for nearly the entire race. At the end, I let her go~I didn't have any gas left to push myself. But, running w/ Katie for a good portion of the run helped me push myself, and I was able to help push Katie a bit, or so she said. :) Lyda fished about 10 minutes before Katie and I did. It was nice to meet these two people! We are going to run the Mini 10K next weekend! It'll be good to see them again!
Another half completed! Definitely enjoyable!!

No comments: