Monday, May 25, 2009

Bronx Girl rides over the Brooklyn Bridge...for Ice Cream


Well, not quite sure what to say about today's biking experience... I feel like the biggest bike riding spaz that ever lived! ha! Sounds very dramatic, but goodness, that's how I felt!

At Binu's wedding (a few weeks ago), I met one of his friends, Thom. He was just as nice, friendly, and fun as Binu's other friends that I had met, so it was truly a pleasure meeting him. Since then, we've chatted it up a bit, and decided to get together and go for a bike in Manhattan. Outdoors, Manhattan, something exercise related, and hanging w/ a new friend~~I couldn't have asked for more!! He threw out the idea of bike riding, and so we did! We took a ride from the South Street Seaport, over the Brooklyn Bridge to an ice cream shop called Blue Marble. It's a farm-fresh, eco-friendly, organic ice cream & coffee shop. It was delicious and well known in the area! When we first arrived, the line was out the door...when we left, the line went down towards the neighboring Brownstone. I got one scoop of yummy Blackberry ice cream and Thom got a scoop of Chocolate and something else! He tried to convince me to get two scoops, but I had to save room for all the food I was going to eat @ my aunt's bbq! : )

I have to say~the ride OVER the bridge was STRESSSSSFUL!! One would think I'd never been on a bike before. I imagined that the people walking towards me took one look @ the expressions on my face and thought, "Oh my! That poor girl!" I was quietly freaking out! I was sure I was going to run into someone. There were a few times I rode right into the side and JUST stopped! I am shaking my head as I replay it in my mind! ha! Thom said that I was swaying back and forth and that he was kinda laughing @ me. Special! haha! I suppose like anything, if you don't use it, you lose it! My performance definitely humbled me in my small athletic world. However, on the way back, I felt confident in myself and actually had more fun! I didn't want the excursion to end, but like all things, it did.

Today wound up being the perfect end to the weekend! I got to spend time with a new friend ~ who is a very interesting & fun person, and I got to be ME. Who could ask for more?

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Cute guy Jessica. Hope he becomes a great friend. Good to hear from you on your blog.