Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Walk Down Memory Lane

My time in DC was short, but very sweet. What was supposed to be a long weekend for the Marine Corps Marathon with some sightseeing and such, turned out to be a much shorter weekend due to Hurricane Sandy, with a bit of reminiscing in what was once a favorite neighborhood of mine with a special friend.

If you're reading this and you know my DC history/story, then you know why it's a very special place for me. What I will say publicly is I have no regrets of my time and emotions spent there. Everything happens for a reason. As I grow older, I believe that more and more.

When I registered for this marathon back in April, I had no intention of seeing my old friend, nor of even stepping foot into the old neighborhood. The plan was to stay with someone else, somewhere else, but life circumstances changed all that. Perhaps God had more of a hand in changing it than just 'life circumstances.' Regardless, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Night before the marathon is stressful all in its own right. This particular night before the marathon was probably one of the best I've ever had.

In retrospect, I definitely stayed up much later than is suggested. However, I'm often too wound up to get to sleep early, and I was in DC. There was no way I could rest without spending some time out and about.
And we did just that ... Out of the apartment and into Adam's Morgan is how the night was spent. I rode the Metro for the first time this weekend, which was great, and we enjoyed Sushi for my pre-race dinner. After we finished eating, laughing and being silly, we headed into the old neighborhood. As soon as I was able to get my bearings, a flood of memories and emotions completely took over me. Now that I think of it, I'm sure I looked as though I was walking around in a daze. I was taking it all in, though. The memories, stores, restaurants, places and faces that at one point in time were like a second home to me. It all became familiar once again and gave a strong tug at my heart. I definitely held back tears along the walk. It was all so beautiful and filled me filled with emotions; happy, sad, funny, excited, anxious, etc. I was elated to be in a place that had once made me smile to no end, and see all the beautiful architecture of an area that I loved while I was there. Simply put, it was the best Saturday night I have had in a very long time.

Time spent with my friend was much sweeter than expected. After not seeing someone for four years, it can go one of two ways: it can seem strained and uncomfortable, or you can spend some time catching up and pick up like you just saw each other a week ago. After some time well spent catching up, we seemed to pick up where we left off, meaning we laughed a lot, joked and poked fun here and there, had some serious talks, but nothing stressful, and simply enjoyed each other's company. At least I did. I suppose I shouldn't speak for other people. Again, I must reiterate that I am glad the weekend turned out the way it did. Even if the happiness & fun times were momentary, it was well deserved and I wouldn't change a thing of the way it all played out.

I think it's accurate to say DC will forever hold a special place in my heart. I'm thankful for all that I experienced while I spent time there, the good as well as the bad, because you can't have one without the other, and we have to learn and grow from each experience life sends our way. I'm particularly thankful for my friend. I thank God for his life & for bringing us into each other's lives. I have truly been blessed with beautiful people along my life, and I will forever be thankful to God.

No comments: