Sunday, April 29, 2012

Run As One

This sunny April day, I had a 4-mile race in my favorite place running spot, Central Park. The morning started off chilly, but once we all got to running, it was sweaters and jackets off, and just go, go, go!!

Today's run was for a cause :: Lung Cancer. A few of my friends made teams in memory of family members and walked for the cause. I ran it, as it's part of the 10 races I am to complete this year.

At the beginning of the race, I felt a little sad because what's been my usual running partner (as of late) didn't join me. However, my dear friends, Kristi & Leon WERE there since Leon was running. Leon and I decided we'd (try to) run together & it worked out better than I imagined. I was nervous to run with him because he has been training at faster speeds than I have. I actually haven't been training for time at all. I've just been logging my miles and that's it. For me, that works just fine. Many of my fiends train & run for time, and that's just something I've given up on a while ago.

Anyway, Leon and I ran the 4-mile course together, motivating each other, keeping an eye one another, and just helping each other out verbally or not. We finished in a respectable time of 32:54, and I was pretty happy with that. It's been a long while since I've pushed that hard at a race. Leon was aiming for 32:00, and I never thought I'd get that, or anything close to it, accomplished. It's just been a long time since I've run like that. I think we were both pleased with our time. I'm happy that my first 'alone' race of 2012 wasn't alone at all, and glad that my friends were there to run with and support me. I was glad that we supported each other.

No comments: