Saturday, August 29, 2009

Game Day with Dad

This past Thursday my father and I went to Yankee Stadium for the Yankees - Rangers game. Early in the day, the weather felt very cool. When I left my apartment in a tank top and shorts, I was sure I would freeze, but I continued on my way regardless. Yes, even in August I get cold if it's not above 80 degrees with sunshine. Apparently, my dad had the same thought process, except he didn't dress for summer. He was in jeans and a long sleeve button down. When choosing my wardrobe I decided...August = HEAT = shorts! I am thankful I didn't go the long pants route because we sat in the Bleachers and there was no shade to be had. It actually turned out to be a beautiful day! The clouds completely gave way to the sun, and we ROASTED! For 80% of the game I sat with my hands covering my face. (In an effort to arrive on time, I flew out of my apartment sans hat or sunglasses. Bad planning on my part!) I felt badly for my dad because he kept repeating how he should've worn his shorts.

There were two young guys sitting next to my dad & was glad about it because they talked 'baseball' with him. I knew he was enjoying the conversation. I joked with him about making new friends everywhere he goes. Growing up I always felt like my dad wished I were a boy so that he could play and talk sports with me. He never ever made me feel that way...I guess I created that 'story' all on my own, mostly because he was so overprotective of me. He still is! haha.

The game started off with the Yankees making great plays and scoring before Texas did....unfortunately, the score didn't stay that way. As the game progressed, the Rangers took the lead and we lost 7-2. My friends have asked me to stop attending the games, as they believe I'm bad luck. haha!

All in all, we had a wonderful time. I'm glad to have spent this day with my father. Not everyone is fortunate enough to do that. It made me realize that I should spend more time with him. He really is a great person and father.


1 comment:

Michelle :) said...

I felt the same way with my dad sometimes-like he wished I were a boy so that he could play and talk sports with me...turns out my 'story' couldn't be further from the truth too!!! When will we learn?